[rescue] public schools

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Wed Jul 10 02:51:51 CDT 2002

On 8 Jul 2002, Chris Hedemark wrote:

> Oh yeah how many people here on this mailing list would have been
> expelled in a post-columbine public school?  I would have been one of
> the first to go.  Kids that are "different" are set aside now, and
> heaven forbid if you appear dark or brooding.  Today I would have been

I honestly don't think it's that bad, or at least universally that bad.  I
have both children in primary school and siblings in high school, none of
whom are conventional in any sense of the word.  They've experienced
minimal fallout from Columbine so far as I can tell by talking with them
(and none of them are the type to remain silent).

I actually received (brief) firearms safety instruction in grade school
from the local police force.  Programs like this have probably become less
popular in light of recent events.

I would guess that the situation is worst in more heavily populated areas,
and probably the worst in middle to upper middle class suburbia.  These
socioeconomic groups have always been the most interested in protection,
insulation from reality and control (see also homeowners associations
et al).

> would probably have been removed by police.  Today he is living in San
> Fransisco, where he started one of the oldest Linux companies and has
> been profitable for at least the last 4 or 5 years.  Some kids can break

I thought "profitable Linux company" was an oxymoron.

> out and do well DESPITE their public school education.

I don't regret my public school education.  I don't regret my decision to
end it early either, though.  When something outlives its usefulness, you
move on.  Many students I knew were suited well by public secondary
school.

-James