[rescue] Another Reason Windows Sucks

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Tue Jul 9 08:44:33 CDT 2002

On Tuesday, July 9, 2002, at 09:00 AM, ssandau at bath.tmac.com wrote:

> I would *run* from Windows X-PeePee as fast as possible. My limited
> experience suggests it's the ultimate in
> I'm-smarter-than-you-are-and-I'm-out-to-prove-it software, and follows
> in the eat-up-all-the-system-resources Windows tradition. And don't get
> me started on sound cards...
>
> I'd go back to win2k if you have to have windows. Even then you have to
> deal with a fsked-up network configuration and "My Network Places." I
> really hate using software written for 5-year-old users. At least in
> windows terms it is relatively stable.
>
> (Personally, my one Windoze box at home has 95, and my
> need-it-to-sign-in-and-out Windows box at work is NT.)

Once you get used to it Windows 2000 network configuration and systems
management tools are what they should have been all along.... complex
enough to handle a real naming system (Active Directory) that at least
makes a minor attempt to be standards based... Kerberos auth/LDAP
browsing... but of course they have some gotchas in there.... just run
mixed-mode.  The tools also have command line analogs for most of them
that can be run over the telnet server which thank-goodness is now
built-in... so we are approaching Unix a bit.  Terminal services for
administration is also built-in now...so you can GUI administrate the
rest.  As for the My this My that... the first thing I do on any new
machine is change My Computer to the hostname, My Network Places (or
Network Neighborhood on the older machines) to Network... My Documents
to Documents... etc. (takes 5 seconds or so)

-Andrew