SAT Scores (was: [rescue] re: gps and mac&cheese, et al.)

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Mon Jul 8 20:40:12 CDT 2002

On Mon, 8 Jul 2002 22:19:30 -0500
Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 08, 2002 at 10:13:31PM -0500, Jonathan Eisch wrote:
> > 24 in 7th grade.  That's higher than the valedictorian of our
> > highschool of 475 students.  Grades are dumb.
>
> I took the test-version as a freshman and got a 29; took it as a
> senior ("for real") and got a 27.
>
> Still got me a first-year-full-ride. 8-)
>
> Bill

those tests are bogus, I took them cold (home schooled at the time) got
1320 on the SAT and 36 on the ACT.  Years later I sat in on a GRE
practice exam a girlfriend was taking to prepare for her masters and
dumb little me with an A.S. got a score more than twice as high as the
next highest in a room full of grad students.  The difference was I am a
technical thinker and they were all psych types, I wasn't twice as
smart, but that's what the paper said.

It was kinda funny actually, I didn't really want to do it, but they all
said "come on, try it" then they all wouldn't even look at me
afterwords.

Most IQ tests that schools administer are also bogus, they depend on
knowledge, not intelligence.  They cool ones are the ones that
psychologists use, you get to play with little wooden blocks and stuff
like that.  Of course it helps that I have no test anxiety at all, I
actually like tests.

Tim