[rescue] cheap gps for time reference

Chris Petersen havoc at apk.net
Mon Jul 8 12:29:28 CDT 2002

On Sat, Jul 06, 2002 at 11:43:39PM -0500, Amy wrote:

> > > Private's worse.
> >
> > Private education worked well for me.   And it is probably not really
> > a coincidence that my GF had the same type of private education.  It's
> > just that most people's views of private education aren't private
> > enough.  In both me and Deb's case, we had class sizes of 1.
>
> 1 person class sizes aren't really privaaate education, Josh. That's more
> like home-schooling. In private schools, the hazing is worse and the
> difference between have and have-not is a killing factor. Good education,
> though. But the peer problems are magnified.

Got to agree with this one.  Switching from public to private school in 8th
grade did wonders for my *education*, and did give me a group of friends
that I had more in common with.  However, the have vs. have-not is amazingly
amplified in most situations that I've seen.  In my case, it was a private
Christian college-prep school complete with dress code (not uniforms).  It's
amazing how quickly kids figure out even within the limits of a dress code
how to emphasize their parents "status" in life.  Hazing wasn't so much a
problem as much as class differences - in the private education world there
are at least 2 types of students:

1) Students there for a good education whose parents are scraping by because
they feel it's a worthwhile opportunity for their child...

2) Students there because mommy & daddy can afford it and that's what all
their friends did with their kids...

#2 is half the problem.  They weeded some of that out at the school I
attended through the admittance interview, but not all of it...

Chris

Chris Petersen			  E-mail: havoc at apk.net
Systems Engineer, ExperTeam Services, EDS PLM Solutions