[rescue] Re: Free: Heath PDP-11-compatible 8" dual-drive unit

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Jul 8 10:09:43 CDT 2002

On July 8, Mike Katchabaw wrote:
> The unit appears to have two Centronics-style connectors on the back,
> with a set of dip switches.  This led us to think that it might be
> SCSI based, but we also thought that the drive could have predated
> SCSI use.  Google unfortunately has turned up nothing in terms of
> documentation for this, so we have no idea how to connect it up to
> a box to test it out.  (I don't want to connect something that may
> or may not be SCSI up to something I actually care about just to see
> if it is!)

  Though I don't have any specific knowledge of the drive you have, I
can tell you that it's almost definitely not SCSI.  Mainstream 8"
drive use effectively ended years before SCSI became commonly
available.  SASI (SCSI's predecessor, more or less) was around at that
time, but I've never seen a SASI device with an Amphenol (commonly but
incorrectly known as Centronics) connector.

  Being IBM it's most likely a proprietary interface.

          -Dave