[rescue] Re: Sun2 update

Matthew Fredette fredette at alum.mit.edu
Sun Jul 7 14:54:56 CDT 2002

> I've got problems with the 2/170 as well: the screen that works with the
> 2/50 gives almost unreadable text on the 2/170 (because I don't have a
> keyboard connected?).

Is this just TTL vs. ECL?

> The SIO-A has a terminal attached, when I press BREAK I get some
> data but it's garbled. Tried al kinds of settings (including
> 9600,8,N,1) to no avail. The terminal with the same cable does work
> on other systems.

A Sun-2 with a framebuffer attached but no keyboard takes input from
serial A, but uses the framebuffer for all output.  This is different
from later Suns, which use serial A for input *and* output whenever a
keyboard isn't connected.

Assuming that this is what's happening, with the serial terminal
connected, issue a BREAK, then type "ua" and hit return a few times.
This should break into the monitor, and then tell the monitor to shift
everything over to serial A.

Matt

--
Matt Fredette