[rescue] cheap gps for time reference

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun Jul 7 12:19:01 CDT 2002

> I like to think of it as a deficit of attention paid TO the kid, rather
> than by the kid. Your version (I got it already, leave me alone) is
> different than the "this-is-boring-lemme-do-what-I-want" behavior of
> some kids. Those kids need to be taught in a way that's suitable for
> them, and it's their parents' responsibility to find that suitable way.
> Period. If the school can't do it, it's STILL the parents'
> responsiblity.

  Ahh but this society teaches people to "follow the rules" at any
cost...and "the rules" about having kids is, you then send them to
school to learn things.

  Many parents I've seen over the past few years take this quite
literally.  Since they're going to school to learn, they get taught
NOTHING at home.  After all, why duplicate the work?

  The root of the problem, I believe (which I think is also the root of
a great many problems that plague American society today and irritate
the hell out of all of us) is that most people simply don't think for
themselves and figure things out.  They're told what to do, what to
think, and how to feel about things.  And if they don't do what
they're told, they're being baaaaaad.

          -Dave