[rescue] Sun2 update

Walter Belgers walter+rescue at belgers.com
Sat Jul 6 17:57:59 CDT 2002

Hi,

Here's an update on my adventures with a Sun 2/50 and a Sun 2/170 for
those interested.

I've had to get an ECL monitor somewhere because I had no screen that I
could connect to the 2/50. Now I do have an ECL monitor and the 2/50
still works. It has a whopping 4Mb of memory.  I've been hinted at
ndbootd, and tried to compile on my FreeBSD system but it wouldn't work,
so I installed NetBSD 1.5.2 on an old PC. I got the 2/50 to correctly
get info from the NetBSD box, but I can't find out what files to put
there to get it to boot an old SunOS. I found references to sun.bb on
the net but can't find it. I did try ndboot.sun.{pub0,pub1,private} from
the SunOS 3.5 boottapes (in /tftpboot) to no avail. I then concentrated
on NetBSD. I've got the 2/50 so far as to boot a kernel from the NetBSD
box (using ndbootd, rarpd, bootparamd, NFS), but after loading the
kernel it hangs..

The 2/170 has a video card but it's showing nothing on the screen. I
also attached a terminal to SIO-A. I do see the characters echoing, but
not always the correct character, so it's probably a serial setting
that's wrong. I haven't been able to find the correct serial settings
yet.

Does it make a difference in which slot a card is put?

Cheers,
Walter.
--
Walter Belgers         "Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus
walter at belgers.com       Latinis alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes!"