[rescue] WTB: sbus 10mbit ethernet NIC & 20A power cable

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Jul 5 14:20:02 CDT 2002

On July 5, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> >   Well PeeCees pull very little power, so running a PeeCee will result
> > in a lower computer-related power bill.  But then you'd have a PeeCee.
>
> Actually, I though PCs took a disgustingly huge amount of power.
> Isn't that one of the major arguments for embeded r4k, r5k, and PPC
> for embeded platforms?

  Uhh, compared to what, man?  It's all relative.  The AlphaServer800
with the A5000 FC-AL array in my computer room pulls a LOT more power
than the average PeeCee.  By contrast, the QYXie (the project I'm
working on) pulls about 50mA when it's not transmitting.

> >   Sneakers are cheaper than cars, too...but you can't do as much with
> > them.
>
> But if you can't afford a car (a position I'm familiar with due to
> past experience) you make do.

  Ahh, but you're learning...you're getting out of college.  Those who
don't learn are doomed to suffer the fate of sore feet.

  Life is all about avoiding pitfalls, or so I've found.

  Besides...The machine in question was listed as having been obtained
for the princely sum of $0.00.  While a certain good friend of mine
has a PeeCee that he paid nearly TEN THOUSAND FUCKING DOLLARS
for...for what application?  Video games.  *sigh*

      -Dave