[rescue] WTB: sbus 10mbit ethernet NIC & 20A power cable

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Jul 5 13:52:40 CDT 2002

On July 5, Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez wrote:
> > Yesss. Think of the ultimate killer app from the homebrew micro days: a recipe
> > database. Put the thing into your kitchen (heck, it looks like a freezer,
> > right?) and have all the drink recipes on tap on the LCD screen.
>
> Nope, that machine had actually a lot of history insisde SGI (it came from
> the horse's mouth I guess, it was used by the MIPS group inside SGI for
> Rxx000 chip design). So putting that machine into my kitchen would be some
> kind of insult to the computing God :-)...

  Well not if you did something like develop a new hashing or
compression algorithm or something on it.  That would be a very
fitting application for such a machine.

  As a matter of fact, it would be a tribute to the computing
God...proving that not everything that happens inside the home
involves wasting precious time on stuff that will never benefit
anyone.

         -Dave