[rescue] Calling HP Laserjet experts--summary

Scott Newell newell at cei.net
Thu Jul 4 15:29:17 CDT 2002

>Of the modern HPs I would not buy anything smaller than a 4000 series,
>and they are a little pricey for a home printer, and aren't as
>dependable as the 4s and 5s.

So if I narrow my search to the 4/5 class printers, looks like I'll avoid
the L and P models--smaller, slower, no duplex option.  The 16/600 PS looks
great, except for the missing duplex option.  The Si models are large and
pricey, although I might get lucky and score a 4Si cheap enough to justify
shipping--$50 for the unit, ~$100 for shipping?  The 4V models are probably
out--can't duplex, and I don't think I want to deal with 11x17.  The 4+ and
4M+ can take the duplex option, as can the 5M.  One thing I've noticed on
ebay--not all the printers match the description--I've seen 5Ms with no
network card installed, so I'll have to be careful.

Sounds like I'm looking for a 4+, 4M+, or 5M.  The Si printers are only
options if I can avoid shipping or get a real steal, _and_ find room to
house it in my office!  (Hmm...wonder how noisy they are--looks like a big
fan on the back panel of that $50 4Si.)  I'm hoping to grab something in
the $150-$200 range when it's all said and done.

Did I leave anything out?

thanks everyone!
newell

Here's a link for all the HP specs that I've found very helpful as well:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Product.jsp?locale=en_US&co
ntentGroup=NT_CT_Specifications&docIndexName=specifications+and+features&pro
dTypeId=18972&prodSubCatId=14638