[rescue] Calling HP Laserjet experts

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Jul 1 15:37:22 CDT 2002

On July 1, Scott Newell wrote:
> Let's say I'm looking for a laser printer to rescue (from this list, ebay,
> surplus reseller, whatever).  I'd like a HP with decent capacity trays (100
> sheets just doesn't cut it), duplexing, maybe some kind of ethernet
> interface.  Postscript wouldn't really be needed, but I guess it would be a
> nice option.  Size isn't a big deal, as long as it can be shipped.  Which
> models should I watch for, and which are the ones to avoid?

  If you want a kickass network printer, grab an Apple Laserwriter
16/600PS.  Same engine as the HP LJ-5M (same cartridges, etc), AM29K
CPU handling rendering; very fast.  16PPM, 600DPI hardware resolution,
photo enhancement stuff blah blah blah, speaks TCP/IP (LPR/LPD),
Appletalk, novell, does PostScript and PCL (if memory serves, that
is...I haven't used PCL in easily ten years) and has a BIG paper tray.

  I've put mine through hell and it keeps coming back for more.
Easily the best mono laser printer I've ever used, and I've
used...well, a lot of them.

  Of course I just re-read your message and noticed your requirement
for duplexing.  I don't believe a duplexer is available for this
printer.  If that makes this info useless, exercise your "D" key. ;)

        -Dave