[rescue] Calling HP Laserjet experts

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon Jul 1 15:26:20 CDT 2002

On Mon, 1 Jul 2002, Scott Newell wrote:

> Let's say I'm looking for a laser printer to rescue (from this list, ebay,
> surplus reseller, whatever).  I'd like a HP with decent capacity trays (100
> sheets just doesn't cut it), duplexing, maybe some kind of ethernet
> interface.  Postscript wouldn't really be needed, but I guess it would be a
> nice option.  Size isn't a big deal, as long as it can be shipped.  Which
> models should I watch for, and which are the ones to avoid?

I'm extremely happy with my 5M.  It has a 250-sheet cassette, but you can
get an optional 500-sheet cassette and a duplexer.  The 5M talks
PostScript, the 5N doesn't (but that support can be added).  Both have a
10baseT, a thinnnet, and a LocalTalk interface.  I got mine for about $200
+ shipping.  A 4m+ would also be a nice printer, but I couldn't turn down
a 5M at that price.

What's surprising is that I think it actually makes less noise than the 6L
it replaced.

--Jonathan