[rescue] Re: SGI Indigo2's

roosmcd at dds.nl roosmcd at dds.nl
Mon Jul 1 15:12:09 CDT 2002

> > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2034682083
> >
> > 8 I2's (6 purple, 2 teal)
> >
> > I would be interested, as long as I can get a Purple I2 with a front
> cover.
>
> At this moment, it appears that there are only 4 working machines.
> That is $40 (+ s&h) per machine with unknown memory (could be 32, but
> probably more in the purple ones), unknown graphics (extreme was
> commone then), and we still don't actually know if they work.

 Identifying graphics in purple stack top to bottom:
 extreme (a guess, I don't really know those non-impact graphics options; it's
          the slowest single-board graphics)
 solid impact
 solid impact
 high impact
 high impact+some option, lots of pins so probably VME expansion (=useless).
 high impact

 (hint, you just count the slots between the 13w3 and stereo connector and look
if the stereo connector is round or db9).

CMNB007Y125 R4400-250MHz
CMNB007Y75 Probably a R8k-75, don't know 100%, maybe 90%
CMNB007AF195, R10k-195MHz

 Hearing no boot tune without memory installed is perfectly normal, so the
percentage of working machines would probably be a bit higher than stated in
the auction. A machine not powering up can be expensive to fix..

> In short, it might be worth it to some people, but I wouldn't
> recommend it to people without extensive I2 experience and spare parts.

 You'll need disk sleds and memory to get started or use external disks. For
more details take a look at

 http://www.futuretech.vuurwerk.nl/i2info.html

 (Hurrah, I got mentioned in the credits :). I've also got some spare parts
still lying around: solid impact, R4k motherboard of unknown state, scsi
cabling and a complete case with the front cover :). I was still thinking of
using the chassis for robot-wars, but maybe somebody has a better idea...

  greetings,
   Michiel