[rescue] Problem with an INDY

Matthew Haas wedge at lightlink.com
Fri Dec 27 12:56:20 CST 2002

On Fri, 27 Dec 2002, Paul M. Hortiatis wrote:

> I have an R4600 SC that doesn't turn on, the led on the front stays red
> and it never plays that startup sound, I figure it's a hardware problem, i
> was wondering if any one knew what would have to fail inorder to cause
> this?

 I have an Indy (although it has an R4600PC @ 133MHz) that exhibits
similar symptoms. I had a working Indy on hand to swap out parts... I had
it narrowed down to the motherboard (I swapped out power supply, CPU, RAM,
framebuffer, unplugged drives, etc.)... I am somewhat suspecting of the
NVRAM battery being dead, but haven't poked around at it since to confirm.
I would doubt it would cause the machine to be braindead, but then again I
haven't done that many diagnostics on an Indy, or experienced SGI's with
dead batteries in general.

---
 Matthew Haas           Squirrel's Law #209203923: "Thou shalt ignoreth
 Corning/Geneseo, NY       all RAM specifications, they're noo scottish"