[rescue] Automounting NFS volumes on OSX

Michael Schiller schiller at agrijag.com
Fri Dec 27 07:46:32 CST 2002

On Wednesday, December 25, 2002, at 07:31 PM, Kurt Huhn wrote:

> As only root can mount nfs filesystems or something, and loggin in
> directly as root is not allowed in OS X.

login as root is allowed, you just have to activate the root account
before you can. I've been su-ing to root for a while, and just as a
test today I logged in as root right from the login screen of OSX
10.2.3 with no problem.

> Automounting is a somewaht laborious process, but can totally be done.
> This website:
> http://www.withay.com/macosx/nfs-client.html
> explaines everything in great detail...

That site was WONDERFUL! Following their instructions I was able to
setup automounting of the home directories of both my U-30 and SS-1000
right from the GUI (and they also give complete instructions on doing
it from the command line as well). The one hitch I had (which was
quickly fixed) was that I had to use the -P option to use a privileged
port to connect to the Solaris nfsd (they even mentioned that this
might be needed on some servers).

Of course Apple's implementation of automounting isn't quite as slick
as Sun's, when you access ANY of the automounts it mounts ALL of them,
and I think you have to logout for it to unmount them, not really a
problem, but not as refined as Suns automounting. Thanks again for that
link!

-Mike