[rescue] Automounting NFS volumes on OSX

Yuri K koroby398 at ifrance.com
Wed Dec 25 18:48:02 CST 2002

Hello Michael,

Wednesday, December 25, 2002, 22:19:49 (UTC), you wrote:

MS> On Wednesday, December 25, 2002, at 06:07 AM, Yuri K wrote:
>> http://www.bresink.de/osx/

MS> Yuri:

MS> Thanks for the quick reply, but this isn't what I was looking for. The
MS> link is for shareware software that hides the 'complicated Unix command
MS> line', I'm not looking to hide it, but rather I'm interested in what it
MS> is! I tried using the line:

MS> mount machinename:/export/home/username /mnt

        Sorry for the misleading reference :)
        I currently don't have an OSX box (just sold one out disgusted
        by general non-usability compared to my old Mac OS 8.x and 9.x
        boxen),

        but if I remember correctly you are better off running mount
        with options, e.g.

    mount -t nfs -o defaults server:/remote_ip_or_name /mount/whatever

Another easy-lame way was to use the Finder's Go To Server feature to connect
to your server once. Then make a shortcut to the place you want to mount.
You  could put yours in the dock or anywhere you like.

Next time you log in the server won't be mounted but when you open the
shortcut the Finder automatically mounts it and presents it.

To automate, I think you need to wrap the above command line string
in some "script" :). I preferred the shortcut way which you could
possibly put into something as well [?].
(In olden Mac OS we had StartUp folder within the System folder,
  but I am not sure about X organization).

  Hope this may help:
                     http://osx.hyperjeff.net/Links.html

Merry Christmas to All no matter what.  My belated Eine Froehliche
Weinacht und vielen WeinachtGeschenken to all German speakers.
(sorry for the inevitable errors, long time no use)

--
Best regards,
 Yuri

/* You are not supposed to understand any of the code */