[rescue] Force detachment of background process?

Eric Webb ttlchaos at randomc.com
Mon Dec 23 00:12:11 CST 2002

On Sunday 22 December 2002 11:41 pm, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> Can't you have the perl script do the typical Unix thing of forking,
> detaching, and forking again?  That's what your average daemon does.

I suppose I could, but this isn't really a daemon -- it exits after a short
while, just not quickly enough.  I'm using a wrapper as a very crude way of
doing multiprocessing with a program that wasn't otherwise built to
multiprocess.  Basically, the wrapper scans the process list and backgrounds
if less than or equal to threshold number of processes.  Otherwise, it
foregrounds to keep from spawning too many backgrounds.

-E.