[rescue] routing between FDDI and enet

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 patrick at zill.net
Thu Dec 19 01:04:05 CST 2002

I was wondering if anyone here has experience with FDDI :-) .

I have a big disk array with 2x10baseT and a FDDI port; it "speaks"
NFS natively(it is an Auspex).  Obviously I want to use the faster
speed of FDDI.

My thinking is to put an Intel "fxp" card running at 100mbps
full-duplex and a "DEFPA" FDDI card in a Pentium II machine and
somehow set up routing between the FDDI and ethernet interfaces, such
that any other machine connected to the ethernet side of the network
can NFS mount an export from the NFS appliance.

Is this an overly complicated setup?  I don't want to spend the money
on a switch that has both FDDI and 100bt plugs (they are still pricy
even on eBay).  It is as simple as enabling routing between the two
interfaces?

Any experience, suggestions, etc. would be welcome.

Cordially
| Patrick Giagnocavo, patrick at zill.net             |
| Zill.Net - OpenACS, Postgres, Python hosting     |
| OpenACS v4 shared server       $39.99/month      |
| Colocation w/30GB transfer     $99.00/month      |
| Managed servers (incl. system) $175/month        |