[rescue] Re: re: SGI ZX10 comment

Gavin Hubbard ghub005 at xtra.co.nz
Wed Dec 18 05:13:34 CST 2002

> > gotten for pennies on the dollar (maybe penny on th edollar, part of a
> > $50 lot that included a dozen or so SS/20/Ultra RAM sticks, over a
> > dozen Creator "SBUS" cards (I know) and some TGX/TGX+ framebuffers), so
> > I won't cry if it won't boot... ;^)
> >
> > I can get specific model info, but I'll have to stop by my storage
> > space and pick it up...
>
> Post the info to the list, maybe someone can help.  I'm thinking it is
> probably a TDZ-2000, which isn't too strange of a machine.  I think it
> was supposed to take normal PC100 ram, but I'd have to check again.  My
> recall is that SGI just rebadged this to get the Zx10, but I could be
> wrong.

I guess it would be appropriate to ask whether the ZX10 can have other
OSes like Linux or Solaris installed, rather than the one of the
supported, but legacy Microsoft OSes.

Cordially

I don't think Solaris x86 is supported (the HCL has always been pretty darn restrictive). However linux is definitely supported - SGI used to have have all the drivers on their website for public download (sadly the changes to supportfolio online have messed this up a bit).

Re the rebadging - the ZX10 is a completely different beastie to the TDZ-2000. IIRC SGI acquired the ZX10 at the end of 2000 when they bought up the remaining Intergraph assets - the SGI machines carry an SGI logo and were only ever released with 933MHz and 1GHz procs on 133MHz FSB.

Regards,

Gavin