[rescue] Mac SE 30

Geoffrey S. Mendelson Geoffrey.Mendelson at mobileye.com
Tue Dec 17 08:57:15 CST 2002

Al Potter wrote:

> Why run open on that machine when it will run NetBSD or even Better, A/UX?

I can't speak for BSD, but A/UX is both licensed software and dead.
If you want a historical prespecive then A/UX fits the bill, but the
bugs will never be fixed, the feature set will stay the same, etc.
The SE/30 is already obsolete, the last version of A/UX would not
run on it. :-)

It's also a child of the AT&T license years. For several years AT&T spent
their time licensing UNIX instead of improving it. The upshot is that
if you bought a copy of A/UX, $60 went to AT&T for a workstation and $250
for a server copy. Simply downloading it off of "the net" does not
free you of the obligation.

Since UNIX ws sold to ...  and then ... and then .... does not change things
Apple would still have to collect the license fee and it would be their
problem to figure out to whom to forward it to.

I still have somewhere the ESIX System V R3.2 and R4 systems I bought.
The R3.2 in 1990 cost me $1000.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson
MobilEye Vision Technologies Ltd, R.M.P.E House, 10 Hartom St. Har Hotzvim