Apple Clones (was: [rescue] BMRT SGI)

Kevin kevin at pipeline.com
Mon Dec 16 03:27:56 CST 2002

I'm fairly ignorant on the Avid options at the
time, but i'm talking well before media100 days, single
frame to tape not real time :) Targa cards (pre Targa
2000).

The toaster came out before the first PAR and well
before the PVR.

3DS was what made me move from Mac to PC.  10x better
than any other PC or Mac option circa 1993-1994, 3DS
2.x and 3.x days.  In fact my very first experience in
networking came from wanting to use 3DS in DOS and
Photoshop on the Mac (FTP server on the Mac, there may
have been a better option but i wasn't aware of it).

IMHO Lightwave's rendering
capabilities exceeded those of 3DS by a large amount
at the time (3DS didn't even have ray tracing) but the
work flow stuff got on my nerves in a big way. I could
never get with it, and 3DS 4.x allowed for better
texture control, once again IMHO.

/KRM