Apple Clones (was: [rescue] BMRT SGI)

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Mon Dec 16 09:30:10 CST 2002

On Sat, Dec 14, 2002 at 06:16:43AM -0500, Kevin wrote:

> They were good for 3D at a time when there was little
> else of value on the PC.  I got started with my IIci
> using Macromind 3D (now Macromedia), MacRenderMan and
> Infini-D.... oh and of course Swivel 3D.
>
> And for years the PC versions of Photoshop and
> Illustrator (which made CorelDraw look silly) lagged
> way behind the Mac versions.
>
> There was Amiga but before the Toaster it was a PITA
> going to tape.

The Mac was easier to go to tape?  The only Nubus card I can think of
for that task would be the nuvista, but those didn't do compression.
Otherwise, it would have had to be avid or media100.

BTW, was the DPS PAR pre or post Toaster?  A friend of mine used the DPS
PAR and liked it.

I'm sure that the PC version lagged behind.  Even still, is there really
much support for properly color correcting a PC?

I know that MacRenderman was great, but I never used any of the other
programs.  My first experiences were 3DS the DOS program and Lightwave.
In my opinion, until Max came out, there was no way you could possibly
argue that 3DS was better, though some people tried for some reason.  I
always vastly prefered lightwave until I got some softimage experience.

--
Joshua D. Boyd