[rescue] Digital server 7000r

Gavin Hubbard ghub005 at xtra.co.nz
Fri Dec 13 04:10:17 CST 2002

Hi Lads

I recently found an interesting local 'computer recycler' that has a <insert expletive> amount of amazing used gear.

Among other treasures (e.g. Sequent xeon quads, VAX7000, Sun D1000s etc) I found a pile of Alpha equipment. There are two AS4100s, a DEC 7000r, three PWS 500a, a DEC server 1000, and one other smaller server (1200?).

The DEC 7000r in particular caught my eye. The part number is 7305-6533A and the model is FR-PD03A-B9. This one has 4 x 533MHz EV56, 512MB, plus assorted SCSI and ethernet cards in a curious 'back-to-front' chassis (3 PSUs at front?). It doesn't seem to have any skins though.

The owner of the company seems to think that it will run NT only and has priced it at ~300USD accordingly. Is this a reasonable price? I'm tempted to buy it anyway - but is he right about it only supporting NT? I'd like to run Debian if possible, but I'm having trouble finding info about this particular model.

Any comments or feedback about the 7000r would be greatly valued (I've not much experience with Alpha equipment).

Regards,

Gavin