[rescue] Visualize C160 workstations

ansalmo at dsl.pipex.com ansalmo at dsl.pipex.com
Thu Dec 12 10:05:53 CST 2002

> Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 00:58:44 -0800 (PST)
> From: Robert Novak <rnovak at indyramp.com>
> To: rescue list <rescue at sunhelp.org>
> Subject: [rescue] Visualize C160 workstations
>
> Hi folks,
>
> I may end up with a couple of C160 workstations if I decide they're
> worth
> the effort. I've found that HP still sells a cable to convert the wacky
> EVC video connector to HD15, which was one of my big concerns. But I
> still
> have a couple of questions. I'm wandering google and the like, but I
> thought I'd bounce them out here too.
>
> Is it worth rescuing them, and if so, how useful are they? How are
> *BSD/Linux on them, in the event that I can't get the appropriate HP/UX
> release for them? Will they boot from an external single-ended disk or
> am
> I stuck with diff? Are they friendly to serial consoles? Anyone want
> one?
>
> Thanks,
> Rob

There's an official port of Debian 3.0 to the HPPA platform.  Check out the
mailing list archives:

   http://lists.debian.org/debian-hppa/
   http://lists.parisc-linux.org/pipermail/parisc-linux/

as they have loads of useful info.

One interesting post a couple of months ago mentioned that the Voodoo2 card
could be used as a framebuffer in these machines (a driver has been developed),
negating the need to locate one of the wacky connectors for the HP graphics
card.  See:

  http://lists.parisc-linux.org/pipermail/parisc-linux/2002-
September/017622.html