[rescue] pursuing a VAX

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Wed Dec 11 02:04:19 CST 2002

On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 02:59:33AM -0500, Joshua Snyder wrote:

> Sort of, yes you can get Quad P4 Xeons, but the Cpus them self only
> support 2-way Smp.  Anything above that and you have to use chipsets to
> glue the Cpu's together... hardly what I would call feature of the Cpu.
> Reminds me of a quad 486 I once saw, afaik the 486 didn't support smp at
> all. But the PIII Xeons could do 4-way Smp(just like the Ppro).

Are you sure there 486 didn't support SMP?  I'm not sure that it did but
I do remeber seeing a dual procesor pgrade that you just dropped into
the socket of a single cpu 486 machine, which makes me wonder if maybe
it at least supported 2way SMP.

Byte used to routinely mention a 8way 486 they had.

--
Joshua D. Boyd