[rescue] pursuing a VAX

Joshua Snyder josh at imagestream.com
Wed Dec 11 01:59:33 CST 2002

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002 vance at neurotica.com wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Dec 2002, Joshua Snyder wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 10 Dec 2002, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> >
> > > On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 02:06:33AM -0500, Joshua Snyder wrote:

<snip>

> > > But where do the P4 Xeons fit into all of this?  That's the main P4 I use.
> >
> > As far as I know the only difference between the Xeon's and the normal P4
> > was dual processor support and SMT(hyper-threading).  But now that the
> > normal P4(3.06Ghz and above) supports SMT the only real difference is dual
> > processor support.
>
> Actually the Xeon supports much bigger configurations than two-way.  I've
> seen eight-way operating, but I'm sure they get even bigger than that.
>
> Peace...  Sridhar

Sort of, yes you can get Quad P4 Xeons, but the Cpus them self only
support 2-way Smp.  Anything above that and you have to use chipsets to
glue the Cpu's together... hardly what I would call feature of the Cpu.
Reminds me of a quad 486 I once saw, afaik the 486 didn't support smp at
all. But the PIII Xeons could do 4-way Smp(just like the Ppro).

				josh