[rescue] Re: Linux on SS1000 (was SS1000)

Scott A Stevens sastevens at franklinisp.net
Sun Dec 8 21:46:07 CST 2002

On Sat, 7 Dec 2002 18:52:42 -0800 (PST)
Robert Novak <rnovak at indyramp.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 7 Dec 2002, Al Potter wrote:
>
> > kloch at gurunet.net said:
> > > When is RedHat going to get off their asses and produce a sparc
> > > version (again)?
> >
> > > There's probably no demand, given the superior alternatives.
> >
> > OK, what's superior, and supports SMP, and is free for SMP?
>
> I'd guess Debian or SuSE or Caldera or Mandrake or Slackware or Rock or
> Gentoo or Aurora. :) http://www.ultralinux.org/dists.html
>
> Point regarding MP Solaris taken though. Note that the terms of the
> license for Solaris these days do not care how many CPUs you have. It's
> how many CPUs your system will handle. So you can't run Solaris for free
> on an Ultra 2 or Ultra 60 according to the license, even if you have only
> one CPU. It's based on capacity. I suppose it technically means you can't
> use a SS10/SS20 either with the free license.
>
> That doesn't mean it won't install, it just may be unlicensed. IANAL and
> all that crap.

It's my understanding that because I downloaded my copy of Solaris 8 back before the license change, I am only subject to the license that I agreed to, which at the time said nothing about multiple processors.  I'm running Solaris 8 on a dual processor SS10BSX (w/dual headed cgthirteen) for the record.

Correct me if I'm wrong.