[rescue] San Antonio, TX area rescue

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Dec 2 14:38:52 CST 2002

On Monday, December 2, 2002, at 03:33 PM, Stephen D. B. Wolthusen wrote:
>>    Learning, man.  These are fascinating machines that much of the
>> world's business runs on...and arguably, the ONLY computers in common
>> use today that actually evolved from the earliest digital computers,
>> and incorporate many of the techniques and thoughts that the world's
>> most brilliant minds came up with from the 1940s to the 1960s...as
>> compared to *everything* else we've got now which descends from the
>> i4004, which was designed for use in a Japanese-built desktop
>> calculator.
>
> I think folks like Ken Olsen or Gordon Bell would be mortally offended
> at that
> statement (just to mention a few - the ILLIAC IV team is another that
> instantly
> springs to mind).
>
> IBM hasn't always been an first or most successful to innovate. In
> some cases
> they had to be dragged along kicking and screaming by their customers.

   I believe you've misinterpreted me; perhaps I wasn't clear.  I never
intended to state that IBM made these innovations...only that IBM's
mainframes are just about the only current designs that make use of
them.

   This is a topic of intense personal interest to me, that I've studied
at length...so please share any thoughts you may have, if you're so
inclined.

        -Dave