[rescue] San Antonio, TX area rescue

Stephen D. B. Wolthusen stephen at wolthusen.com
Mon Dec 2 14:33:19 CST 2002

Hi,

On 02-Dec-2002 Dave McGuire wrote:
[...]
>    Learning, man.  These are fascinating machines that much of the
> world's business runs on...and arguably, the ONLY computers in common
> use today that actually evolved from the earliest digital computers,
> and incorporate many of the techniques and thoughts that the world's
> most brilliant minds came up with from the 1940s to the 1960s...as
> compared to *everything* else we've got now which descends from the
> i4004, which was designed for use in a Japanese-built desktop
> calculator.

I think folks like Ken Olsen or Gordon Bell would be mortally offended at that
statement (just to mention a few - the ILLIAC IV team is another that instantly
springs to mind).

IBM hasn't always been an first or most successful to innovate. In some cases
they had to be dragged along kicking and screaming by their customers.

--

        later,
        Stephen

Stephen Wolthusen (stephen at wolthusen.com)