[rescue] O2 graphics compared to entry-level Octanegraphics?

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Thu Apr 25 13:11:46 CDT 2002

> Hrm.. I'm asking because I'm considering seeing about "trading up" from
> the O2 to an entry-level Octane (O2 R5K 180 vs. Octane R10K 195 w/SI gfx).
>
> Thoughts?  If I'm gonna have a SGI at home it might as well be a BEEFY one. 8-)

Well, all things being subjective, I thouroughly enjoy my Octane.  It
has an excellent processor, can take 3 internal SCA drives, and performs
solidly.  I also like the idea of XIO  - even though I currently can't
afford much for them.

It is big though, shout if you want to see a pic of an O2 next to an
Octane - it's roughly half again as high, and twice as wide.  All told
it's also half again deeper than an O2.

There also isn't a built-in CD-ROM, and no place to put one.  You have
to use an external case for the CD-ROM - but I don't find that to be
much of a problem (I have a couple external drives).

All in all, an entry Octane is well worth the price IMO.  I predict that
this one will be in use until I can afford an Octane2 - whenever they
start hitting the same prices these currently run.  Anyone want to start
a pool?  5 years from now?
--
Kurt
kurt at k-huhn.com