[rescue] Mmmmm SGI

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu Apr 25 08:24:24 CDT 2002

On Thu, Apr 25, 2002 at 04:12:40AM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 25, 2002 at 01:39:34AM -0400, Sridhar the POWERful wrote:
> > Don't be stupid.

> Yes, IBM may make a card with a bigger penis factor, but
> I have yet to see a good card for *consumer PCs* that has
> as good a price/performance value as the nVidia stuff.
>
> Heck, I have GeForce 2MX 32meg cards in both PCs here (in
> this machine I'm using right now, in fact) and I dont see any
> reason to upgrade further anytime soon.  Great 2D, decent 3D
> for games.  It works, its cheap ($50-75), why replace it?

We were discussing the desire (or in some peoples case, the lack there of)
to see a new high end option for Apples.  Anything GeForce only counts as
highend for games.  They lack the features and balanced performance desired
for serious applications.  Porting highend applications to work with cards
like the Geforce has caused almost every vender lots of trouble, from Alias!
Wavefront to SideEffects to Softimage, etc.

Granted, Nvidia was the first company to make cards that could even begin to
be used for real work (I believe they were the first sub $1k card to be
certified for Softimage), and they certainly are more technically correct
that Matrox and ATI Radeons, but there is a lot (and not just 3D performance)
that a card like a Wildcat offers that a GeForce doesn't.

--
Joshua D. Boyd