[rescue] Maybe Wanted: Early PowerPC Macintosh Systems

Mike Hebel nimitz at owc.net
Mon Apr 22 06:58:29 CDT 2002

>> Sounds like a dead battery to me. Power PC MACS won't start without a good
>> battery in them. I'm not familiar with the model you have, but if it uses
>> a 1/2 AA battery with a long nose, the photo battery equivalent (slightly
>> longer, flat nose) works just as well and is about 1/2 the price (and
>> available almost everywhere).
>>
MN> DO you know if this is true for the G3 PowerBooks?

Absolutely.  The battery style may change but Macs in general,
PowerBooks in particular, will not boot without the PRAM battery being
good.  You can sometime force them to boot by zapping the PRAM in them
but sometimes even that doesn't work.  As for the 6400 - try powering
it on and off fairly quickly.  Some of the older PowerMacs would start
up using this method even if the PRAM battery was dead.

Mike Hebel                        mailto:nimitz at owc.net