[rescue] OT: broken de-MIME-ers should be shot! ;-)

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Wed Apr 17 16:12:25 CDT 2002

On Wed, 17 Apr 2002, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> > I wholeheartedly DISagree with that statement.  I like de-MIME, and have
> > even considered running it on my personal mail server.

> De-MIME-ing is good when it removes what you don't like.

> It's very bad when it removes what you need to make a message
> intelligible.

> It's even worse when it converts what you have into something incorrect,
> as in changing my degree symbols into zeros.  Grrrr!!!!  BUG!!!!

I think the problem here is most of us are using ASCII mail readers.  Greg
is using ISO-8859-1 (is that right?) which has a degree symbol.  Since DeMIME
is bringing it to plain old ASCII text, that degree symbol needs to be
translated into something.

Unfortunately for Greg, it looks like he's bragging about living inside an
active blast furnace =)

I tend to side with De-MIME on this one, because I'm old fashioned, and if it
isn't ASCII I don't like it in my email.  It's like the garbage spam from
China to me.

Now, that's the way my gut feel is, but I realize the world is not the US, and
there are many symbols not properly represented in the ASCII set...  Maybe
UTF-8 needs to become more common.

--Kurt