[rescue] Sparc 20 case mod

Big Endian biggie at 3geeks.org
Sun Apr 7 16:37:52 CDT 2002

Ok, I have a sparc 20 with a heat issue.  I have an SM-61, an HME,
one of those NPI DAS fddi boards (which I have solaris drivers for
the NPI firmwared ones), and an Efficient Networks ENI-155.  As this
box is going to become one of my two core routers I may add a second
cpu (will solaris 8 take advantage of this in the routing code? or do
I just need something studlier?)  This box is already overheated and
is starting to freeze hard.  So I have decided that it needs studlier
fans.  I have a pair of 12v 3" fans at my disposal for this and I'm
wondering if anybody has experience in cooling specifically the card
area of an SS20?  I've seen Brian Hechinger's sparc 20 mods but I
want something that will augment the existing (if small) airflow.  I
was thinking of mounting the fan between the side of the case and the
last sbus card and punching a hole through the top of the case.  I
would also add a baffle to allow all 3" of the fan to draw air of out
the machine.  I would also attach heat sinks to the ASICs on the
ENI-155 like what PC clockers put on their ram.

am I nuts?

daniel