[rescue] WTB/Advice: Mac iBook/PowerBook

Big Endian bigendian at mac.com
Fri Apr 5 21:53:17 CST 2002

>On Friday, April 5, 2002, at 02:06 PM, Big Endian wrote:
>
>>Those are fun.  But for a little bit more cash you can get a Pismo
>>from ebay or a refurb TiBook 400 from apple which will run OS X
>>much better.
>[snip]
>>Too bad, macs are fun machines.  I would recommend a Pismo or a
>>TiBook over the iceBook for most people, but in this case price is
>>probably a more deciding factor than speed.
>
>Neither the Pismo nor the TiBook is really any faster than an iBook
>600 in fact the Pismo is a decent bit slower and the TiBook loses is
>some benchmarks, the other benchmarks are usually neck and neck.
>(Wish I could find my source URLs)

I've used both the Pismo and the 600 icebook and the pismo *FEELS*
faster, perhaps its the cache.  It also has dual battery capability
(I use this extensively) that just murders the icebook.

>The iBook 600 does away with the 66 MHz bus problems and is much
>quicker than the 500MHz model (I have owned both).  The Pismo is
>heavier and bulkier than the iBook and the TiBook is much more
>delicate than the iBook (i.e. case scratches and broken hinges).
>The iBook 600 Combo is a very nice machine.  It is what I am typing
>this on now.  For OS X I would not recommend anything less the 384MB
>(128MB built-in + 256MB module).  The 512MB module is still just too
>expensive for most people but I really want it :)  If possible, go
>to an Apple store and try one out.  That is the best way to get a
>feel for it.

The icebook is a lot smaller than the Pismo and TiBook... but the
pismo seems to be to be just the right size for a laptop.

daniel