[rescue] somewhat OT: secondary market storage?

Derrick D. Daugherty derrick at blinky-lights.org
Fri Apr 5 20:58:06 CST 2002

so i say it's at a dull hum..then april happens..and i'm in hell

It's rumored that around Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 01:27:08PM -0600
Steven Hill <sjh at matrix.net> wrote:
> > oracle will live here.  anyone have much luck with the t3 arrays?  I'm
> > adverse to them for db's since they're raid5, but if the performance is
> > good...  in the past i remember reading things about the clariion kit
> > that made me dislike them, anyone have an argument for them?
>
> T3s suck ass

how recently did you use/implement them?  I _know_ they blew 2 years ago
when they first offered, but I've heard good things now...  did ya stop
using them when they failed before?

> If a FRU goes down, which they do, and you replace it with a DOA (or
> pull the thing out and replace it) The unit will shut down.
>
> We have a few of them, and they are good boxes other than for that one
> "feature"

I will address this with the salesdroid and SE

> Oh, and they don't have to be RAID level 5.

I kept getting conflicting responses, now sun's "storage guy" says it
can do what i need.  however i can't slice up more than 2 luns per
brick, UNLESS, you go with there 69xx boxen which have some little
"virtualization engine" which lets me slice up or aggregate luns.

they won't let me take that "VE" apart tho.  i wanna see what they're
using.

thanks for the info sjh, drunken silliness soon?
^D
--
 When you're only tool is an axe, ever problem looks like hours of fun