[rescue] Laserdisc players Re: Hello?

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Fri Apr 5 14:57:05 CST 2002

On Fri, Apr 05, 2002 at 03:47:13PM -0500, Chad Fernandez wrote:
> I don't like the silly menu stuff on DVD's.  Laserdiscs are no nonsence,
> like cd's.  Just put it in push play, or the track number.
>
> I guess I don't really like my DVD player as well as I thought I would
> either.  It takes too long to determine what I put into it.... it take a
> while to identify an audio cd, plus it lacks the component video outs,
> I'm using S-video.  It's a Teac, and I normally like Teac products,
> usually cd-roms and floppies.  I just don't like this DVD player all
> that well.  Oh well.

I have what was the cheapest possible dvd player available at the time.  My
biggest gripe is that it doesn't do anything with the screen when playing
audio CDs.  Here we have people designing visualization stuff into car
stereos, shelf speaker systems, etc, and the one place where it would really
make sense (for screen saving the TV when playing CDs), it doesn't.
Unfortunately, the way things are wired, the TV must be on to play CDs because
the DVD play runs straight to the TV, which then runs to the amplifier (a
70s quadraphonic unit where the FM is dead, record player is dead, and the
TV is hooked to the tape inputs.).

--
Joshua D. Boyd