[rescue] Just a thought - what would be a good starter SPARC system these days?

Mike Hebel rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Oct 23 18:03:39 CDT 2001

jppc> I used to have a Lantronix terminal server connected to all my serial
jppc> consoles. It did the job OK, although it never did handle CR/LF stuff
jppc> properly. But then one day it fell down and couldn't get up again, it just
jppc> sat there playing with its toes and flashing an unknown diagnostic code.

Oddly enough that's what happened to the one I worked with also.  I
think that they fixed it by resetting the NVRAM in it and setting it
up again via it's console port.

jppc> After pricing new terminal servers ($$$$$$$ and up), I'm trying to replace
jppc> it with a PC stuffed full of serial ports. I have a Boca BB2016, which is
jppc> very nice except that it locks up after about two minutes -- when I have
jppc> time, I'll be playing with different I/O ports and interrupts to see if
jppc> that makes it happier.

I've seen this done mostly with Digi cards but have never done it
myself.  A new Lantronix 16port is $100 on E-Bay - not all that
expensive.  Still, it's all in what you want to spend to get the job
done and how much frustration you're willing to put up with.

Mike                         mailto:nimitz at owc.net

http://drone8of9.crosswinds.net/documents/Mike_Hebel_Current_3.html

http://drone8of9.crosswinds.net/documents/Mike_Hebel_Current_3.doc