[rescue] Just a thought - what would be a good starter SPARC system these days?

Bill Bradford rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Oct 23 12:02:50 CDT 2001

On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 11:35:29AM -0500, Randy Bowie wrote:
> You still see a lot of 2.6 in the field.   From an admin's point of view I'm
> not sure that there's much of a difference.

There's not, unless you're getting into newer features not offered in the
older releases.  We've got ~80 or so UNIX boxes here (about 10-15 of them
Tru64 UNIX), and the rest are mostly Solaris 2.6; just now are we starting
to setup new boxes with 8.

As a telco, we use what works and is proven stable, not the "latest and
greatest" - in some cases, we *couldnt* go "latest and greatest" until
the applications we run are certified and supportable under Sol8.  In some
other cases, the upgrade to 8 is being driven *by* the application, where
they're dropping support for the older version we're running under 2.6.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
mrbill at mrbill.net