[rescue] Just a thought - what would be a good starter SPARC system these days?

steve price rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Oct 23 09:27:04 CDT 2001

I always put 96mb or 128mb in the LXen that I use, and
while it is a little slow on the graphics side, once
it is up and running it is a great teaching tool (as
well as a pretty darn good low end server).  Two 32mb
parity 72pin simms and four 16mb parity 72pin simms
are incredibly cheap these days....top that off with a
decent speed cdrom and decent size hd and you are set!

Of course SS5/SS10/SS20 are nice also, as are Ultra1s.
 With the drop in "relative" worth of these systems,
they too are becoming much cheaper.

I don't want to imply that these are the only boxes
suitable for teaching/learning, but in today's climate
it seems that everybody wanting to learn *nix
"demands-wants-needs" graphical tools.  The days of
learning command line only seem to be waning......