[rescue] RS/6000??

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Oct 18 21:48:18 CDT 2001

Well, I didn't opt for the desk-side RS/6000 (the 59H), but  the
desk-top one. I know, I wimped out. Sorry. Just didn't want to spring
for the shipping and extra cost. The 7011-250 I just paid for was only
$31 including shipping. It's MCA and has an ethernet card in it.
According to the seller, it "seems to work fine." Dunno what that means.
More later, I guess.

As for the PDP-10, I remember being introduced to computing (Fortran and
assembly language in particular) on a PDP-10. It had a set of toggle
switches and a paper tape for booting, which was a long process, I
guess. It took up the larger part of two rooms, with refrigerator-sized
modules like memory, a couple of tape banks, and so on. Grat line
printer, too. A *real* line printer that went CHUNK-CHUNK-CHUNK as its
100+ daisy-wheel-thingies whirled around, each to the right character
and then slammed into the paper all at once to print a whole line.

Also remember learning to write code using PICO where the great joke was
to start a new file called "love." Anyone else remember the syntax for
creating a new file and editing it with PICO? :) This will either reveal
age (as in my case) or extreme computer obsession.... ;) PICO's response
was just another example of how working on computers warps your sense of
humor...