[rescue] HP9000/715

Steve Sandau rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Oct 15 11:09:51 CDT 2001

Thanks. I stumbled across the "copy bootstrap" choice in sam, and that
was the key. I made a bootable filesystem on a 400M drive, and mounted
the 2G drive as an LVM (have to if > 2G??) to get me almos 2.5G total.
Since I was able to put all the drives in at once, I just did a cp from
the old noisy drive to the new ones. I had to use two new ones, because
sam complained that it could only make drives < 1G bootable in HP-UX
10.20.

I think I may try again since CDE now won't run at boot time, only by
hand (dtlogin), and then you can only log in as root. Must have boogered
up permissions somewhere in the cp. (I did a tar of the whole fs before,
and untarred to refill /usr, but it didn't fix it.)

I still have the old drive intact; maybe I'll try a dump instead of tar.

Thanks, too for the pointer to mkboot.

Steve