[rescue] Powerware UPS?

Greg A. Woods rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Oct 14 20:37:43 CDT 2001

[ On Sunday, October 14, 2001 at 17:42:30 (-0500), Scott Newell wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [rescue] Powerware UPS?
>
> >Unless you like inviting disaster into your vicinity you'll go get an
> >electrician to install a twist-lock wall socket for it....
>
> Won't help--it's got a 5-20P, not a twist lock.

whatever....  :-)

It wants a 20A circuit.  You shouldn't ever try to pull 20A through a
normal wall socket, at least not for long periods of time, and
especially not at any distance from the breaker box with just 14/3
copper.

Now if you have only a 15A breaker on the circuit then you'll be safe
enough of course, and you might even be OK from the insurance
perspective too, but you'd better ask just to be safe.

>  Considering all the
> smaller units (some with the same battery config) in the same product line
> have the ordinary 5-15P connector, I'm not too concerned.

I don't think your insurance ajuster would care....

I'm not normally such a stickler for these kinds of things, but if
you're paying good money for insurance you might as well do everything
by the book because you sure as heck don't want to have to answer any
difficult questions about your setup when something else unrelated, but
perhaps close by in the same room, causes damage.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>     <woods at robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>;   Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>