[rescue] Anybody there?

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Oct 14 11:48:18 CDT 2001

Ido Dubrawsky wrote:

> The list has been pretty quiet in the past 24 hours...is anybody there or did
> the world/Internet come to an end?

I guess. I'm at work, in my basement, with Beer. Just dd'd a drive to
another so I can use the one I copied from in a rackmount case I picked
up as salvage. Big 4u case, but it's a full-size drive in an external
case right now. Rather stick it in something rackmountable.

Other than that, I just have to check the e-mail every ten minutes or so
to see if I need to do anything. That's what I'm getting paid for at the
moment. Can't say I mind. Last time I had to do anything urgent on a
Sunday was quite a few months ago. The tech support is skeleton staffed
on weekends, and they handle 95% of what comes up, with the NOC guys
doing the 5% that requires physical intervention.

So I sit in the basement with the TV on, a glass of Guinness, and my
toys waiting for something to happen, and call it a day at work. I can't
go out for too long, but anything e-mailed to level3emergency goes to my
cell phone, so a quick trip out for pizza in a few minutes will be OK.

---sambo