[rescue] SS2 Debian install

BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Oct 12 11:06:34 CDT 2001

> >I always remove the floppy FIRST on any box I get in that I want to keep,
> >and open it up.... it is amazing what bunnyrabbits de duste reside there.
> >They ALWAYS need dust cleaning.  They ALWAYS need head cleaning.
> >Then, they work.  Pay attention to the head actuator jackscrew and
> >make sure IT is cleaned, too.
>
> Excellent point.  The old Sparcs I get are filthy inside from serving as
> someone's room air filters for years of 24/7 usage.

Of particular importance, many of the times, is the dust that seems to
collect in and around the head actuator area.

Of particular importance, many of the times, is the hardened grease on
the head actuator jackscrew.  I use a bit of isopropyl to clean that off
and then relube with just the slightest qtty of vaseline, if needed.

Both problems seem to prevent proper seek to track 0 so the disk can be
read.

Once I hit those two areas, and then generally vacuum them out, they
usually work fine.

Bob