[rescue] Mysterious Sparc10 hang

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Oct 9 20:30:24 CDT 2001

i have a sparc10 with dual SM61, 128MB ram, two FSBE cards and a Sun/NSI FDDI
card (old style, don't know which version, the dual SBus, MIC connectors kind)
running Solaris 8 and IPfilter as my firewall.

it works great.  with one exception.  every once in a while (like months apart)
it'll hang.  no error messages, nothing reported, no crash dump, just flat out
hang.  only thing i can do is drop it to the ROM and reboot.  does anyone know
what could possible be wrong?  i ram my sparc5 for a year with zero problems,
and can't say the same of the ss10.  now that i have a FDDI card that will work
in the sparc5 (thanks mike!!) i will set that machine back up as the firewall
i think.  i'd still like to find out what's wrong with the sparc10 since i'd
like to use it, but i can't have my firewall being so flaky.  especially since
my DNS server sits on the other side of it, so when it goes down all hell
breaks loose on the FDDI rings.

-brian