[rescue] FW: Sun Microsystems to Cut Jobs, Sees Wider-Than-Expected Loss

Joshua D Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Oct 5 23:50:15 CDT 2001

On Fri, Oct 05, 2001 at 11:41:06PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
>   In case you're skeptical...at Digex, we had very strict rules
> against running IRC bots.  I caught people doing it all the time.
> Instead of busting them in the "traditional" sense, I introduced
> subtle off-by-one errors into their source code and replaced their
> binaries.  Fixing the modification times on the files, of course. :)

Weren't these people smart enough to check file sizes and keep MD5
checksums of their important binaries?  Seems rather important if one is
going to break the rules.

Kinda reminds me of people who jingled keys against the phone line when
crackers tried to download things that were considered to sensitive.  See
The Cuckoo's Nest.

--
Joshua D. Boyd