[rescue] two SCSI oddities

George Adkins rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Nov 29 18:49:20 CST 2001

On Thursday 29 November 2001 03:24 pm, you wrote:
> >> 1. I couldn't get the bus to sync at 10MB/sec until I, scratching
> >>    head, removed the "terminator enable" jumper on the drives. It
> >>    would only sync at 5 with that jumper in. What's the electrical
> >>    reason for this?
> >
> > Over termination,
>
> All four drives (narrow SCSI)  in the internal cage of my ss1000 have
> the "active termination enabled" jumper jumpered. Is this wrong then?

If they are SCA drives, it doesn't make a difference.  SCA drives (in all my
experience) do not contain termination networks.  However, they often retain
the jumpers of their non-SCA counterparts.  I would suspect that it is likely
that the jumpers you have closed are either term-power or if they are indeed
termination-enable, that they connect to an empty set of solder pads on the
PCB where termination resistors should be but aren't on the SCA model of the
drive.

What make/model are the drives?

George