[rescue] pkgadd failure - checkinstall

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Nov 28 08:39:41 CST 2001

"Loomis, Rip" wrote:

> do_cluster_install

What is do_cluster_install? It's not on my box.

> patches first.  (In general, if you're installing a package
> and you can already see the "checkinstall" script, then in
> my experience you may have opened the package up too far.)

I noticed ot first when trying to install openssh. It failed on
checkinstall. SO i found the checkinstall script and ran it from the
command line. Stuck in a print statement at the end, and it prints
"Done!" when it's done. So it works.

But running pkgadd gives me the error, as does install_cluster.

> The alternative to do_cluster_install, is that if you've
> already unzipped 8_Recommended.zip, cd into the directory
> it created and run ./install_cluster.

Yup. Tried that. Got this:

Using patch_order file for patch installation sequence
Installing 108869-11...
  Installation of 108869-11 failed. Return code 5.
Installing 108987-07...
  Installation of 108987-07 failed. Return code 5.

Looking at /var/sadm/install_data/Solaris_8_Recommended_log, I see:

Installing 108869-11...
Checking installed patches...
Verifying sufficient filesystem capacity (dry run method)...
Patch 108869-11 failed to install due to a failure produced by pkgadd.
See /var/sadm/patch/108869-11/log for details
Patchadd is terminating.

So I go to /var/sadm/patch/108869-11/log and see this:

/export/home/sambo/8_Recommended/108869-11/SUNWmibii/install/checkinstall:
/export/home/sambo/8_Recommended/108869-11/SUNWmibii/install/checkinstall:
cannot open
pkgadd: ERROR: checkinstall script did not complete successfully
Dryrun complete.
No changes were made to the system.

Boohoo.

>   ftp://www.wins.uva.nl/pub/solaris/auto-install/

Thank you. I suspect I'll need a working pkgadd to use it.

>   ftp://ftp.cs.duke.edu/pub/PatchReport/index.html

Thanks again.

---sambo